This clip highlights the importance of keeping our babies safe in cars, and reminds us that the minimum age requirement for forward-facing child restraints is 6 months BUT they should be rear facing until around 12months (or up to the weight restriction of their car seat - usually 12 kgs).
It's well worth 5 minutes of your time to watch!
https://www.facebook.com/notes/rear-facing-down-under/which-car-seats-can-rear-face-for-longer-in-australia/200061483378385
https://www.facebook.com/notes/rear-facing-down-under/which-car-seats-can-rear-face-for-longer-in-australia/200061483378385
4 comments:
Thanks Kylie, I don't have sound, so can't listen to it. But appreciate you putting the info in. Makes me think maybe we need to turn our little boy around. He was only just over 8kgs a few weeks ago. Rather be safe than sorry:) Looks like he'll be rear facing for a while.
It's hard when the information keeps changing but when you see the evidence it makes sense to keep them rear facing as long as possible. I'm going to get a mirror for the back window so I can see Carter when I haven't got my little helper Lauren in the back.
I watched this on your FB page. I never considered all that. Every Mum should watch it.
My understanding is that the European style seats are significantly safer also due to the way they fit into the car, using posts that are part of the frame of the car, rather than just belts and bolts. I have also been led to believe when questioning people in the know regarding Australian rulings, that the Aust government has not allowed these types of seats to be used. Cars such as Subaru for example have been manufactured with the housing for such systems for a number of years. Why on earth would our government prohibit something that is safer for our children?
Post a Comment