Friday, August 29, 2008

58 today!

Today was my 58th
blood donation!

I have been donating blood regularly since I was about 18, and Mum "encouraged" me, by letting me see her donating, and not crying, screaming or passing out! Back in the "good old days" the mobile blood bank even used to come to Campbell Town - way back when they gave you a beer! Now it's milkshakes, juice or a hot drink, and a yummy selection of biscuits! (That's really why I go!)
Until today, I hadn't been for nearly 18months. I was "rested" for 6 months in March last year as my haemoglobin stores were too low - I am often just borderline at 120g/L (grams per litre). Since then I have had colds, viruses, headaches or had just not been feeling 100%, so delayed donating. That's obviously helped, as my levels were back up to 131g/L - very good for me. I'm also on the bone marrow donor registry, but have only ever been called up once for the second round of testing, and didn't match closely enough to go any further.
If you've ever thought about it, but just haven't got around to it - now's the time! Supplies are desperately low Australia wide, and a single blood donation can save up to 3 lives! It doesn't hurt (and I hate having vaccinations), and takes less than 45 minutes all up (that includes your "rest" and drink). The actual donation usually takes around 10-15 minutes - I was 7mins today, so was out of there within 1/2 an hour!
Mostly you can donate every 12 weeks if you become a regular donor, but as a "frequent donor" I go every 10 weeks - especially as I have the rare 0-, which only 9% of the population have. As you'd know from All Saints (don't go there - I'm still upset about Dan!!!) or Shortland Street for you Kiwis, 0- can be used for all other blood groups until cross matching is done to find out a patient's own blood type.
If you are interested, click the link below for more info., or visit your local Red Cross Blood Service ( I don't think they like being called the "blood bank" anymore - not PC!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm upset about Dan too.

The Kings said...

So sad about the guy off All Saints. I haven't donated for a while as I have been pregnant, but I'm glad you reminded me to go and do it again. I like it for their yummy bickies and drinks too! :)