Today Lauren, Clea and I went into town for a "girls morning". We stopped at "What's New" to get Lauren a new Beanie Kid with her pocket money, and one for Clea for her birthday on Wednesday. Then we did the best thing we've done for a while, we bought some clothes for children affected by the bushfires in Victoria. Best and Less have a stand of polo shirts for $3, cheap socks and baby items, so we bought a bag full then came home and found some good quality second hand clothing, and a few new things I'd bought on special that the kids haven't grown into yet.
***
I know what it's like to lose pretty much everything in a house fire. I was working at the council at the time of our fire, and was overwhelmed by people's generosity. Second hand clothing is fine - especially when you have nothing, but it was lovely to get a few brand new items. Mum is collecting up some more donations and we will be dropping them in to the Launceston Government Offices in St John Street later. They are just asking for clothing at the moment, but will be wanting toys and household goods and cash donations later, so check out your cupboards and keep an eye out for bargains in the end of Summer sales - places like Target, KMart and Best and Less have some REALLY cheap things on their discount racks!
***
Let's hope none of us are EVER in the position these families are in!
2 comments:
What a great idea. We are going to donate to the appeal, but I always think how they need clothes right now. It's all so sad. I've been watching the TV all morning just stunned as to what is going on.
Hi Kylie,
I have had quite a weep for the poor people in Victoria, and also those poor animals, that would have died with so much fear and pain.
I will be donating to the appeal.
I just wanted to say, what a good example that you are setting for your children.
They will grow up to be very caring and compassionate people.
The world needs more people like you.
Love Lorraine.
xxx
Post a Comment